Thursday, October 21

SEWING :: The Anna-phant, Part 1

The project for my baby niece Anna did not get finished before I saw her in August. Didn’t even get started beyond Sophie helping me pick the fabrics and me starting to draw out a pattern.

IMG_1647

So now it’s my “I have a few minutes, let’s see how I can move forward” craft activity. And rather than wait til it’s all done (which is hopefully before Dec. 25), I’ll show some bits and pieces as I go.

IMG_1651

By the way, this was NOT all done in one sitting.

IMG_1661

I’ll cut into the real stuff once I know my pattern will work.

IMG_1662

First version of trunk did NOT work. Despite my profuse pinning…

IMG_1663

…and slow sewing,

IMG_1665

… connecting a totally straight piece to a massively curvy piece was NOT going to result in a pretty trunk.

IMG_1666

Jury’s still out on whether Trunk Attempt #2 will work; I’ll know more once I stuff the thing properly.

IMG_1670

My respect for people who regularly make critters out of tiny pieces has skyrocketed! Trying to pin a tiny circle into a tiny tubular leg was near impossible…

IMG_1673

…until I realized an acrylic paint bottle was just the right size to squish into the leg and give it some rigidity so I could get some pins where they needed to be. : )

IMG_1676

Oh, and also helpful was cutting some of my 1/2” seam allowance away before sewing. What was I thinking leaving that amount on there?!? Way too much fabric!

IMG_1677

[cue abrupt ending]

Well, that’s all for now.

3 comments:

  1. It's going to be a very cute elephant. I don't know how they manage to put such tiny bits together, maybe there is something to the elves making the toys stories after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Quil. Your note reminded me of one of my favorite stories as a kid: the shoemaker and the elves. I had an early reader with pictures I just LOVED. Mmmm, elves! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh! so cute! i can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails