Friday, March 30

Sidelight Solution–Version 1

Sidelights-BeforeAfter_thumb6

I wanted to cover the sidelights next to our front door with something other than gathered floor-to-ceiling sheers. If it was somehow blue (to coordinate with the blue door), even better.

Long story short, inspired in part by the amazing “stain glass window” on FilthWizardry, I decided to cover them with tissue paper. And on the same day I decided this, I discovered blue tissue paper in a box left by the previous owners. I love happy surprises like that!

IMG_0229_thumb

It was SO easy – just watered-down school glue, painted onto the glass with a foam brush, then the randomly-cut tissue paper scraps placed on top, and painted over if the paper still seemed dry. Took part of an afternoon.

And I don’t think it’ll be hard to get off again – I’ll just have to spritz it with water and it’ll come right up. In fact, it did come loose at the bottom where there was condensation during the winter.

IMG_1039

I’m already thinking about Version 2.

For one thing, I didn’t realize there were two different blues in stack of tissue paper; other people maybe don’t notice, but I see it every time I pass by. (Photos below show the sidelight I did first, then the sidelight I did next.) Do you see it too?

IMG_1051IMG_1052

And for another, the triangles are too “fractured” for me right now. I’d like something smoother, calmer. I’m thinking nice thin horizontal stripes…

I just need to find some more blue tissue paper.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I have the exact same sidelights and I saw that post on Filth Wizardry too. I have been so tempted to do this but because we are renting I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it off again. Hmmm, seeing as yours lifted with the condensation maybe I will give it a try! They are driving me nuts those windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look amazing! (filth wizardry always has such great ideas!) i actually don't mind the different shades of blue and i actually prefer the "fractured" look than a more regular look. but then again, that's me. :) lisa

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails